Here are 3 fundamental tips to keep in mind as you plan your content marketing strategy:
Tip # 1: Make sure that your content is Authentic, Engaging, and ActionableFirst, you need to decide what you want to talk about, starting with:
- What are you most passionate about and what makes you firm different from others?
- Is there a particular niche or a unique client type that you best serve?
- Who within the firm is best to tell your story? P.S. It doesn’t have to be the firm’s principal but should be someone who will be fully committed to the role.
- Be Authentic – make sure you speak about what you know. Don’t try to compete with or copy anyone else.
- Be Engaging –Be sure your communication is clear and easy to understand for the reader. Keep it short-and-sweet; it shouldn’t be an effort on their part to get the point of your story.
- Always have a call-to-action – there should always be at least one takeaway item for the reader to walk away with, usually whatever the next logical step in the process:
- Download a whitepaper for more information…
- Attend a seminar to learn more…
- Schedule an office visit to meet the team…
Tip # 2: Pick the format that you’re most comfortable with and matches your firm’s culture
Tip # 3: Do your homework on the technologies and platforms availableSo now that you have a foolproof content management strategy, how and who will get it done? Whether you manage it in-house or outsourcing with a consultant, there are many content management tools and service providers that are readily available, affordable, and customizable for your specific needs. Make sure to clearly understand the features and limitations of the products before you pick one and then make sure to leverage to its full capability.
A few of the service provider platforms to be aware of are:
Wordpress and Blogger – to produce website and blogs
Vertical Response and Constant Contact – to create newsletter and email campaigns
I think content marketing expert, Joe Pulizzi of the Content Marketing Institute said it best “Content marketing is all about telling a compelling story”. I hope these tips have helped you in thinking about how best to tell your story.